Saturday, April 18, 2009

Weekends are like Bowling with Beer




Weekends are like a really bad game of bowling because you drank beer. Just like any other game involving alcohol like pool, darts and cards, bowling gets worse the more you drink. 1st to 2nd beer: You get really excited at first because you knock down some pins and it looks like you're going to score a 280, maybe even a 300. 3rd to 4th beer: You bright ball gets acquainted with the gutter and you can't keep a spare streak. 5th-6th beer: You better have a ride home because screw even trying to hit the pins, you're just trying to not crush your toe, let go of the ball on your backswing or bowl in your neighbors lane.

Basically, this is how I view weekends.

I never cease to amaze myself with my time idiocy. Leading up to the weekend I always make a mental list of what I'd like to accomplish come Saturday. Considering my weekdays never allow time for the usual laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc., I leave those to my "boo" weekend to-do list and include other "fun" activities I need to do to keep my sanity during the work week. This is my first level of excitement (my 1-2 beers).

Saturday morning rituals include Kyle and I enjoying breakfast out at some rinky-dink diner, unless we have other plans. If all else fails and we can't decide on a random new place, IHOP or Beverly's Pancake House it is. By the time we arrive home, clean the house, pay bills, get some work done, catch up on emails, do laundry and so forth, it's 6pm before I get to what I longed to do on the weekend in the first place. My usual weekend excitement quickly diminishes once I look at the clock on my stove. (3 to 4 beer level of reality setting in). It's like I went to work today and just got home! NOOOOO!! Time for dinner, more emails, more painful loads of laundry and so on.

No more reading the new book(s) I bought, now collecting dust next to my nightstand; No more heading out to the lake to rollerblade, bike or run (something different than my usual yoga routine); No more joyrides looking at new real estate (a pricy hobby of mine). My night is fast approaching so I better take a shower (yes, if you see me on a Saturday afternoon I'm usually not fresh, sorry to disappoint).

If you were wondering what we spend our Sunday's doing, it's no surprise there. Work, work and more work. Sometimes, if it's a "really good weekend," we'll catch an early afternoon movie. (Here's the 5-6 beer step in the process because I just realized I have to get up and my workweek starts all over again).

This is why I think weekend excitement parallels that of beer drinking games. First, excitement of the never-ending weekend awaits you. Then, reality sets in and down you go as your weekend starts slipping away. Finally, you're waisted, mentally and physically because the weekend was supposed to refresh you, not kick your ass.

Oh well. Life goes on...

This analogy probably only makes sense to me, and that's okay. I'm cool with that.

No comments: