Thursday, April 23, 2009

All Hail Dave Ramsey














Not really...

Let me start out by saying that I like Dave Ramsey. He genuinely cares about America, our economy and the overall financial security of our nation's citizens.

I wasn't able to make it to the live, nationwide Dave Ramsey Town Hall for Hope webcast tonight. However, I was still able to get the same advice I would have received if I had gone, watched or logged on.

Yes, my friends, I found a secret. A secret that may blow your mind. Everything Dave Ramsey spoke about, other than his personal opinions, have secretly been stored in my head this whole time!

Why didn't I think of that? Oh, wait. I have! I just chose to ignore it. That particularly annoying sidebar of thoughts we call Common Sense is truly a magical human wonder. Just think. If I had listened in church, if I had payed attention in my finance classes, if I just didn't sign up for that shamanistic credit card once I was accepted into college - I would never be in the position I'm in: In debt!

This all reminds me of a book I read only 2.5 pages into: "He's Just Not That Into You." WOW. Chicks needed a book to tell them when a guy is ignoring them? How amusing.

Here's the funny part. When we all choose to ignore our CS detector we tend to value the advice and admire those who chose to obey theirs! We got ourselves in this crummy situation. Stop trying to blame other people. If you just worked hard, spent less than you made and didn't gorge yourself on super-sized McDonald's fries, no one would be committing suicide, or killing their families over money.

How much more clear should it have been for you when you first started really spending money and ignoring your brain? Don't tell me you didn't get that pit in your stomach when you signed the papers for a mortgage clearly over your head and ignored the red flags. Red flags like your salary barely covering the cost of your home, bills, motorcycle, baby formula, cool flat screen (on credit might I add)...etc.

The sooner people stop pointing fingers, take responsibility and own up to their own stupidity, the sooner the people who DO simply follow their CS detector can stop making money for telling us what we already know.

It was so sad to see Dave Ramsey as one of the most searched topics this evening on Twitter. The best part is that he doesn't follow anyone! Nope, not one person. He also has yet to post at the date of this blog's publishing. Does Dave really care about how he's affecting your life? Does he care about the other "free" tools online that could help you become financially secure? Or, just his book and DVD series? Just something to think about.

I actually admire Dave. He's one of the most honest guys in public speaking, he's a disciple of the Lord and he isn't ashamed to be fearless in a world full of incapable people. He saw a weakness 95% of our citizens and took advantage of the most obvious opportunity. Telling people how to listen to themselves. Miraculous.

No comments: