Tuesday, June 1, 2010

To Love and Live

When I was in college I noticed our campus newspaper, The Reflector, was lacking readership. This is about the time that "Sex in the City" episodes were popular. I sadly envied Carrie. Not her as a person, good grief, but her career. How cool to frolic around New York in pricey outfits, meet random eccentric people for lattes midday and then spend an hour a week writing a column?

So, I put two and two together and kindly approached The Reflector's editor-in-chief and asked if he would allow me to be their Carrie. He told me to write three samples. I did and the new "Love vs. Hate" column was born.

Ahhh. My dreams had come true. Kind of. I had a blast writing that column. I was a partier and dated multiple guys at once (sorry in advance to those who were unaware of this), so it was easy to pick up inspiration. The only downfall was when I actually fell in love. Unfortunately, Kyle fell victim to my column. Not because I wrote about him and our carefree relationship -- I stayed far, far away from that storyline -- but because students would frequently ask him whether or not that week's column had anything to do with him. Especially when I wrote about the ugly relationship scenarios. Fortunately, however, The Reflector's readership increased dramatically. That could have been me, but it also could have not been me. I'll never really know...

With that said, I've decided to start writing about relationships again. But, since I'm married and have a son, it would be rather odd for me to write a column about my non-existent single and dramatic dating life. Instead, I've decided to write about love and life, the small pleasures we take for granted everyday. Basically, if everyone realized they were free, the world would be a much more serene place. Okay -- so people in jail and strict countries aren't really "free" per say, so I'm guessing the majority of my readers will remain within the U.S... Even then, however, those who are not physically free to enjoy life as we know it, their spirits ultimately remain free.

Through the words of Jon Egan:

Through you the blind will see. Through you the mute will sing.
Through you the dead will raise. Through you all hearts will praise.
Through you the darkness flees. Through you my heart screams I am free.


Enjoy toloveandlive.com -- my new blog about loving and living life. (Blog to be up and running here shortly).

1 comment:

Marlajc said...

Love your writing!!! Can't wait to start reading your columns!

Congratulations on your new venture...I know it will be amazing!